On your bike!
- There are rules in the Highway Code specifically for cyclists – make sure you know what they are!
- Make sure you are visible – you can get great reflective gear for both yourself and your bike. Make sure you aren’t dressed head-to-toe in black, and make sure you have good bright bike lights.
- Wear a helmet!
- Follow the guidelines on the Police Scotland website which gives advice on how to keep your bike secure. If you have an expensive bike, register on BikeRegister.com for additional peace of mind.
- The Sustrans website has some great information.
- Have a look at specialist shops for some ideas – particularly reflective gear which does not have to be expensive, but can make a huge difference. Here are some examples from The Edinburgh Bike Co-op.
- If you are in to being competitive then you can find SRUC on Strava!
Pictured is SRUC staff member Andrew Gellan, SRUC’s Cycling Officer.